Shrove Tuesday, these days more commonly known as Pancake Day, as pancakes are an idea way to use up rich foods such as eggs, milk and sugar before the start of Lent, during which we would fast for 40 days.
The humble pancake is no longer so humble as Pancake Day has become a fixed favourite for families throughout the world, you can get your fill of pancakes in almost any way with any dietary requirement.
To celebrate Pancake Day 2021, we’ve put together a list of pancake and topping options to give you some lockdown pancake inspiration:
- Traditional – All you need is plain flour, eggs, milk and a little oil and hey presto you have pancakes! Always tastiest with lemon and sugar (in our opinion). If you’ve not made pancakes before, click here for the recipe
- American Style – A popular choice for breakfast and brunch as they are often served with syrup or bacon (or both). Simply swap the plain flour for self raising and add a little baking powder and you’ll have light fluffy pancakes
- Vegan – Vegan’s shouldn’t be left out on pancake day, replacing the eggs and milk with a plant based alternative ensures you can still enjoy a pancake or two with your favourite topping
- Gluten free pancakes can be made by using gluten free flour such as buckwheat, almond or chestnut.
- Go exotic, use chick-pea/gram flour to make and make socca (flatbread) or dosa pancakes
- Once you have settled on the type of pancakes you are going to make, it’s all about the toppings. Do you go savoury? or do you go sweet? Or do you do both?
- For a final bit of inspiration, how about you create a dinner party setting and serve up some blinis?